College education is very important for young people in modern society. It is already known that people, who have higher education, have bigger potential for professional growth. The only problem that occurs now is that education in college or university is extremely expensive and not everyone can afford it. That is why government and private facilities offer scholarships available for students.
Scholarship is a financial help provided for students on various bases. Applying for scholarship is one of the most effective funding options. The reason for this is that scholarships do not have to be paid back. Every year scholarships become available for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. Most of the scholarships and grants are usually given to need-based students, while also there is the number of opportunities to win the scholarship on other basis.
Students have a chance to apply for different kinds of scholarships. In the United States there are 8 principal categories of scholarships:
- First one is Major Scholarship. It is sponsored by specific departments in college or private colleges which offer particular major.
- Another category is State Scholarship. It is granted to some particular states. This means that only people who live in the specific state can get this kind of grant.
- Non-Represented Scholarships are private or corporate kinds of grants.
- There are also Minority Scholarships, primarily offered to African-Americans, international students and women.
- Precise scholarships sponsored by religious organizations, called Religious Scholarships.
- One more type of scholarship which is very helpful for young people is Athletic and Special Talent Scholarships. It is sponsored by talent and sports programs. Fraternity or Sorority Scholarships are financed by national or local fraternities or sororities.
- People with some disabilities (blind or handicapped) can also get a scholarship. They can apply for Special Scholarship, which is financed by college special needs programs.
Each category of scholarship has different requirements for the person who apply for it. Such great variety of scholarships allows students to find the one that is the most suitable for them. It helps young people to get higher education even if they are not able to pay for their education themselves. The most well-known federal programs that provide various scholarship grants are: The Federal Pell Grant, The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and Federal Work Study Program.
The Scholarships have a lot of advantages comparing to other funding options, like savings, borrowing etc. One of the main advantages is that scholarship doesn’t have to be paid back. Scholarships usually cover the full cost of educations in the particular college, while it may be difficult to borrow or to save such an amount of money. Another advantage is that everyone can try to apply for scholarship.
Even though scholarships can be a very good way to get college education they also have some disadvantages. For example, some scholarship programs give money at the end of the academic year, which is not very practical. Also some scholarships offer only partial financing and do not cover all the costs at college.
There is the number of kinds of scholarships. Which one to apply for, is up to you. The process of getting a scholarship is not easy, but if you will try hard enough, you will reach a success and will get a chance for FREE education.