Preparing and giving a one minute speech can be just the trick for learning to communicate efficiently and effectively. With only one minute to speak about any topic under the sun, every word you say counts. Your professor may use this method as a fun way to help you practice your communication skills, more specifically your ability to think on your toes, express a point of view, captivate an audience and become comfortable speaking in public. Take a look at 6 of the best samples of 1 minute speeches below:
- Jim Carrey. A small sample from this commencement address shows an excellent combination of elements that make for a great speech. Not only does he speak generally about motivation and following dreams, he uses personal examples and stories that truly engage listeners. Kudos Jim!
- Steve Jobs. In a moving one minute motivational speech, Steve Jobs explores why we should love what we do. He urges his listeners to follow their heart.
- Nick Vujicic. This inspiring speaker urges his audience to do more than they believe is possible. Many people if faced with Vujicic’s physical disabilities might give up, but Vujicic reminds us not to say “I can’t do it”, but “How can I do it?” This is a great example of someone speaking from the heart – one of the keys to success in a one minute speech.
- Ronald Reagan. After the Challenger explosion, Reagan addressed the nation with a beautiful speech to lead the nation after this very saddening event. Although short, this speech acknowledges the mourning of a nation. Reagan showed his humanity and strength to a nation who needed a leader.
- Rocky Balboa. Even movie characters have great speeches. This “up and at ’em” inspirational speech that Balboa gives to his son in the movie is spot on. It’s to the point and makes you want to get up and fight for what you want. This speech inspires action. It’s raw and real with a great metaphor to capture his son’s attention (note – speech begins at minute 2:00 in the video).
- Josh Light. This quick speech known as an “elevator pitch” used to propose a business idea to potential clients is very engaging and easy to follow. This is an important kind of a speech to master, as most of us have to explain our professional work at some point or another. Notice the movement and engaging body language used to captivate the audience.
Use these great examples to find inspiration for your own one minute speech. As in all of these examples, speaking about an issue that is important to you and speaking from the heart are two of the most important elements. Get started practicing your speech today!
If you need a speech written for you in a short time, you can contact our writing service and get instant help.